Designing interactive products
The design studio covers the theme of the development of interactive products.
The focus of the course will be on two main aspects:
- The experience that designers can generate through the use of three aspects: interaction with the product, the value of the product, the context of use.
- The tools and platform for applied interaction (Arduino, Unity 3D)
The objective of the design studio is that students should:
- learn how to design a meaningful user experience understanding how the product interacts (communicates) with users and the context in which the product will be used
- handle the basics of physical computing
The course will be divided in three parts:
Methodology for interaction design
- Exploring interaction: How the product interacts (communicates) with users and the context in which the product will be used. (Tools and methods to analyse product)
- Usability and User eXperience Assessment in Design Project: evaluate existing products and product usage.
Physical Computing and mechatronics
- Learning how to handle different typologies of sensor and actuators and how to connect them through the Arduino platform.
- Learning how to interact and connect the Arduino platform (and the different boards) to Unity3D.
- Using state of the art technologies and connect them through Unity3D and Arduino, e.g. LeapMotion and Kinect systems.
- Starting from the analysis of existing products: reconfigure the “interaction of the product” based on the user experience.
- Developing experiential prototypes
See the official web site of the course here.
See some examples below: